Bacon Ratatouille with a Kick
Total time to prepare – Approximately 45 minutes. Serves eight (4).
–– I get all excited whenever I start a recipe with bacon, and this one is no exception. It’s certainly not traditional ratatouille but I believe you’ll find this a tad sweeter and with a slight bite on your tongue. The inclusion of bell pepper might bake you think twice about that addition, but go ahead and give it a try. I believe you’ll enjoy it.
- 6 slices of bacon, coarsely chopped.
- 1 Vidalio or other sweet Onion – Chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 3 zucchini, cut into bite-size cubes
- 3 squash, cut into bite-size cubes
- 2 red bell pepper, chopped finely
- 2 tomatoes – medium size, cut into bite size pieces
- 2 ears of fresh corn, sliced off the cob
- 1 tbsp. Cajun Seasoning
- 1 tsp Smoked Paprika
- 1 sprinkle of Basil
- Fry the bacon pieces until crisp, set aside.
- While the bacon is frying, prepare the other ingredients by chopping, dicing, slicing, etc.
- In a large skillet – 12-inch or larger, place the bacon pieces and red pepper. Saute the red pepper until beginning to soften, on low heat, about five (5) minutes.
- Add the onion and saute until translucent, about five (5) minutes.
- Add the garlic and saute until the onions begin to brown. 1-2 minutes more.
- Add the cubed zucchini and squash and mix with the other ingredients.
- Add the paprika and cajun seasoning and saute another (6) minutes, mixing occasionally.
- Add the tomatoes and blend, saute for two (2) minutes until they become soft.
- Add the corn kernels and blend with other ingredients, saute for additional three (3) minutes.
- Remove skillet from heat.
- Sprinkle with fresh basil and cover. Let sit for 5 minutes.
- Serve alone or as side. Enjoy!
Leave a Reply