Kielbasa and Cabbage Soup
Total time to prepare – Approximately 45 minutes. Serves eight (8).
–– My Polish heritage gets all excited whenever I find a recipe with Kielbasa. Fond memories of my parents at the kitchen table return with the aroma of fresh Polish sausage. My mother-in-law even prepared Polish sausage every Christmas. This soup adds another ingredient that is pleasing to my roots – Cabbage. Darn near perfect combo. And this soup is quick and easy. Enjoy.
- 1 lb. Kielbasa, cut into bite-size cubes.
- 1 Onions – Chopped
- 16 oz. Cole Slaw mix – shredded cabbage with carrots
- 2 Garlic cloves – minced
- 32 oz. Beef Broth
- 16 oz. Chicken Broth
- 1 can – 12 oz. beer
- 1 tsp. Black Pepper
- 1/2 tsp. Carraway seeds
- 4 cups French Fried Onions, divided in half
- Place kielbasa and onion in a dutch oven on medium heat. Brown the kielbasa and soften the onion for about five (5) minutes.
- Add the coleslaw mix and saute until tender, about another five (5) minutes.
- Add Minced Garlic, beef broth, chicken broth, beer, black pepper, carraway seeds and two (2) cups French Fried Onions. Cover and bring to a boil then reduce heat to low.
- Remove cover and simmer for ten (10) to fifteen (15) minutes until flavors are blended.
- Serve in bowls and sprinkle with remaining French Fried Onions.