Total time to prepare – Approximately three (3) hours.
- 1 ½ lb. Round Steak patties – already scored for Swiss Steak. (about 6 pieces)
- 2 Onions – halved and sliced thin.
- 1 Yellow Bell Pepper – diced.
- 2 Carrots, sliced thin
- 16 oz. Baby Bella Mushrooms, sliced
- Garlic Powder to taste
- 1 Tbsp. Worcestershire Sauce
- Paprika to taste
- Black Pepper to taste
- ½ Cup Flour
- 2 Cups Beef Broth
- 2 cans 14.5 oz. Diced Tomatoes with juice
- 1 Tbsp. Cornstarch (optional)
- 2 Tbsp. Vegetable Oil (Olive Oil is fine.)
- Put the flour in a plate.
- Sprinkle both sides of the steaks with Paprika, Black Pepper and Garlic Powder. A light sprinkle on both sides is adequate.
- Dredge the meat in the flour on both sides and set aside.
- Add the oil to the Dutch oven and heat to medium-high.
- Brown the meat in the hot oil on both sides, then remove and set aside. (If there is an accumulation of oil in the pot, dab with a paper towel to absorb. Be careful – Oil is HOT! And do not wipe out all those tasty brown bits. You’ll need those for an added flavor bonus.
- Add the cut onions, carrots, and bell pepper to the bottom of the Dutch oven.
- Return the steak to the Dutch oven and lay the pieces atop the vegetables.
- Add the Beef Broth, Diced Tomatoes with juice, Worcestershire sauce.
- Cover and place in pre-heated 350 degree oven for one hour.
- Remove the Dutch oven and place on heat-proof surface. Add the sliced mushrooms to the top of the meat. Cover again and continue baking for an additional hour.
- Remove the Dutch oven again and place on heat-proof surface. Blend the mushrooms into the meat and vegetables, then cover and return to the oven for additional fifteen (15) minutes.
- Serve and enjoy!
- I recommend serving with mashed potatoes, or over noodles (my favorite method.)